Getting here and advice about your stay

Entry requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of six months from the date of entry into Taiwan.


You may spend up to 90 days in Taiwan without a visa. You can then extend this by a further 90 days once you have entered Taiwan. If you plan to stay in Taiwan for longer than 180 days you must have a visa before you arrive.

Specific rules exist for naturalised British Citizens born in the People’s Republic of China and holders of British National (Overseas) passports wishing to enter under the Visa Waiver Scheme.

For further information on entry requirements, contact the Taipei Representative Office at:

50 Grosvenor Gardens,
London, SW1W 0EB.
Telephone: 020 7881 2650,


1 Melville Street,
Edinburgh, EH3 7PE.
Telephone: 01312 206886.

Visit the website at:

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs)

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Taiwan. If you are entering Taiwan using an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) (, you must apply for a visit visa before travelling (unless you are travelling from mainland China, in which case you can get a visa on arrival).

You can apply for an ETD if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. See:

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the British Office Taipei as soon as possible at: You will then be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Office Taipei. See:!/british-office-taipei/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker.


When bringing medications into Taiwan, you should bring a prescription from a hospital, clinic or doctor stating that the medicines are for the use of the individual. The amount brought in must be consistent with the amount on the prescription.


Western Union, Moneygram and Travellers Express have offices in Taipei, but operating hours are restricted. It is not possible to exchange Scottish or Northern Irish bank notes. Bank transfers can be slow. Some branches of The Bank of Taiwan and HSBC will accept British credit cards, but you will incur handling charges.

ATMs are plentiful but not all accept British bankcards (most ATMs in 7-11 convenience stores accept international cards). Designated banks will accept American Express, Citibank or Thomas Cook travellers’ cheques but you should be prepared to produce your purchase certificate or receipt as well as your passport when cashing them. If in doubt, check whether your travellers’ cheques will be accepted in Taiwan before you travel.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/]


Safety and security

Advance fee frauds

Individuals and companies in the UK (and elsewhere) often receive letters, faxes and emails, offering them large sums of money provided they send various ‘advance fees’ to Taiwanese bank accounts. Fraudsters obtain contact details from telephone or commercial directories, so recipients are not being specifically targeted.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) investigates advance fee frauds in the UK. Do not reply to these types of communication. The NCA website at: contains more information on this type of fraud.

Local travel

There is a risk of road blockages and landslides following typhoons, especially in central and southern Taiwan. You should check the Taiwan Central Weather Bureau website at: and the Directorate General of Highways site at: before travelling.

Road travel

To drive in Taiwan you need an International Driving Permit (IDP). Once in Taiwan, you will need to take your passport, IDP and a passport photograph to the nearest Vehicle Registration Department and apply for a driver’s licence visa, which will then be secured in your IDP.

The alcohol limit for drivers in Taiwan is lower than in the UK. The current legal limit is 0.15 micrograms of alcohol per 100 ml of breath or 0.03% blood alcohol concentration (BAC). Driving while over the limit can result in heavy fines and imprisonment. Passengers may also be fined.

Be alert crossing roads, even on protected crossings.

Local laws and customs

If you are found guilty of smuggling, trafficking, possession or use of illegal narcotics you can expect to receive a severe jail sentence or, in some cases, the death penalty.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/]

Political demonstrations

You should avoid large-scale political gatherings.

Terrorism and security

Taiwan is generally a safe place to live and do business. Small-scale petty crime affecting foreign nationals is not commonplace, but exists. Read the Safety and Security information provided in the FCO Travel Advice: The Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI) also provides protective security advice to businesses. See:

You can find out more about the global threat from terrorism, how to minimise your risk and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack at:

Although there is no recent history of terrorism in Taiwan, attacks cannot be ruled out. You should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate attacks, which could be against civilian targets, including places visited by foreigners. For the most up-to-date information on terrorism see the terrorism section of the FCO Travel advice for Taiwan, at:

Consular assistance

The UK does not have diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The British Assistance and Services Section of the British Office Taipei can provide certain limited consular assistance, see: In cases of genuine emergency, the British Office may be able to issue you with an Emergency Travel Document.


Natural disasters

Tropical cyclones

The tropical cyclone (typhoon) season in Taiwan normally runs from May to November, sometimes resulting in local flooding and landslides.

Listen to Typhoon Alerts on ICRT, BCC and PRS radio stations, or alternatively monitor the following websites:;;

See also the UK Government tropical cyclones page at: for advice about what to do if you are caught up in a storm.


Earthquakes do occur in Taiwan. The US Federal Emergency Management Agency website: has advice about what to do before, during and after an earthquake.

You should check the FCO Travel Advice for the latest security advice on regional travel, driving in Taiwan, crime, terrorism risks and natural disasters, at:

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/]



Visit your health professional at least four-to-six weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures.

Market-specific information and advice is published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website:, and by NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website:

Useful information and advice about healthcare abroad is also available on the NHS Choices website:

Taiwan has adequate health and dental facilities to handle routine, emergency and outpatient treatment. Some have English-speaking staff. Hospitals operate on a ’pay as you use’ basis. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

There has been a significant increase in cases of dengue fever ( Cases are usually concentrated in the south of Taiwan (including the cities of Kaohsiung and Tainan) and are highest during the summer months. See the Taiwan Centre for Disease Control website: for more information. You should take precautions to avoid mosquito bites. See:

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 119 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment. Unlike the UK, it is not normal practice for a paramedic to accompany an ambulance.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/]

FCO travel advice

If you are travelling to Taiwan for business, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website has travel advice to help you prepare for your visits overseas and to stay safe and secure while you are there.

For advice please visit the FCO travel section pages on the website:

Travel insurance

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. See FCO Foreign Travel Insurance:


comments powered by Disqus

Contact Form